social media in k-12 settings




          I did some research for the last assignment. For the whole semester, all the classmates are working very hard writing about their discovery of new technological tools. I feel I gradually lost some passion when the semester is going to the end. I still feel so excited when trying new social media tools. I enjoy exploring functions and thinking about how to incorporate those tools into my future "online course". Many people said setting a blog is a good idea to introduce educational technology in the classroom. However, I am still thinking about all the advantages a student can get. In my teaching experience, students always need guidance to reflect their learning, especially in k-12 settings. I feel writing four blogs per week in addition to a formal assignment is a lot of work for a graduate student. However, it definitely makes sense if the semester is only 6 weeks. In k-12 setting, how many blog posts are appropriate for students' language and age level? I think if we want to include a class blog, a lot of factors should be considered ahead.

       In my opinion, students in k-12 setting can take turns to write "our class blog". As the result, everyone can take the responsibility and contribute their own thoughts on the class blog. In addition, I am really concerning if the "Facebook public group " and "twitter" are appropriate for students in the young age ( below 1)? Do they need parents' supervision? Do they even have a cell phone? Will those social networks distract their learning? I totally agree that using twitter and facebook are considered as a natural way promote communication. However, more concerns raise to my mind.
 

   
   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments:) Yihan